Hi Everyone, my name is Caitlin. I am a Master of Management of Applied Sciences (MMASc) Candidate specializing in Global Health Systems at the University of Western Ontario. As an emerging global health professional with a Bachelor of Medical Sciences (BMSc), I am dedicated to bridging the gap between science, management, and policy to drive sustainable change within global health systems. With a strong passion for health promotion and health equity, I plan on using a critical lens to continue to advocate for universal health coverage to reduce health inequities in local and global settings.
About my Internship
This summer I was fortunate enough to be placed as a health management intern at the Aga Khan University (AKU) Hospital Network via the Western Heads East program. Although my placement is located in Nairobi, Kenya, I will be working remotely over the next 12 weeks. The Aga Khan Development Network aims to improve the living conditions of vulnerable and marginalized populations using upstream solutions.
Specifically, I will be working with the health management team and psychiatric department to work on initiatives that focus on destigmatizing mental illness and decriminalizing suicide within Kenya. I am responsible for organizing and hosting conferences with Aga Khan staff and partnering organizations to start the conversation surrounding mental wellbeing, and mental health care. Additionally, I will be monitoring and evaluating other programs that have already been implemented by AKU.
My Internship Goals
- Learn about the current landscape and culture surrounding mental health in Kenya
- Understand COVID-19 regulations implemented by Kenya’s Ministry of Health that may influence mental health at a population level
- Apply skills learned in my Master’s degree to a real world setting, such as health promotion, knowledge translation, monitoring and evaluation, presentation skills, and technical writing skills
- Practice cross-culture communication, and focus on hyper self-reflexivity within everyday interactions to gain the greatest learning experience from my supervisors
- Utilize my interpersonal skills to develop a strong network of global health and health professionals worldwide